Tuesday 13 October 2015

Poems to my Child before I'm a Mother



You don't know how lucky you are



You don't know how lucky you are

My baby, my child
You don’t know how lucky you are
That clothes wait for you, clean and ready
That there is a home outside the warm womb
With warmth and protection of its own
You don’t know how lucky you are
That your parents are not wanderers, lost and alone
That there is community and home, love waiting for you
That bombs are not falling as you grow tendons and bones
That your mum has food to eat and water to drink
So you can keep growing and knowing 
You are safe
You don’t know how lucky you are
That there is no need for us to escape
That there is no fear of war drafts for your father
or rape for your mother
You don’t know how lucky you are
That we are safe to grow you and know you
To hold you and have you
Clothe you, feed you, breathe in air that’s not filled with riots and gases

You don’t know how lucky you are







I have the will...



I have the will to be your mother
Yes, I have the will to give myself to you, to know you
I have the will to show you the world in all its beauty, wisdom and wonder

But I don’t know if my will is enough yet to fit me wholly for you
And surely you deserve to be fitted wholly 
There is no other way for me to fit you, as you grow

Surely you will stretch my will, bending it as we bond together
You are a whole person, demanding, deserving all that I can give you
After all, you are here by our invitation
And now, there is no other way for you to come
But in me and through me

I am already wholly yours, answering to your call,
Believing there is space for you and me to grow together 

After all, there is you and all that you will bring
All that you will show me
All the wisdom and wonder I had never thought to see
Surely you will make up the gaps in my will
I rely on you to play your part to fill
The cracks where I doubt 
Or I fear that I am losing myself to another
Losing myself
Losing my life
Another said, that’s the only way to gain
I will and you will
Our wills together meeting in a myriad of mistakes and mishaps
And glory
I am your mother
You are my child
Nothing will ever change that, now that it has been.


No comments:

Post a Comment